Welcome to the Shading Series!
What You’ll Learn from this class:
- Confidence to Start Shading – break through that barrier
- Best Wood Options for Shading
- Steps for Prepping Your Wood for Shading
- 4 Shading Techniques – Animal Fur, Cross Hatching, Solid Shading, and Stipple Shades
- Retraining Your Eyes to Break Down Images into Small Sections for Recreating Shaded, Wood Burned Artwork – Left Brain to Right Brain Work
- Creating 3 New Shaded Pieces by Applying the Shading Techniques and New Ways of Visualizing your Artwork
- A Completed Wood Burned Portrait – You Got This!
You want to learn how to shade and create stunning wood burned pieces. If you’re new to shading, this is the place to start. Just taking the leap to start shading is a big accomplishment, so give yourself a high five for getting started and taking the first steps toward your shading goal.
This is a step-by-step course from learning what wood to choose all the way to shading a person’s face. Each video of me coaching you through the process is one step closer to the final piece. Follow along in the videos, work through the steps and exercises and before you know it, you will have shaded four new pieces, a cat, a dog, a leaf and a person. Don’t forget to pause it if you need to catch up. Materials You Need to Follow Along:
- Basswood Sheets or Plaques: You can choose any basswood canvas you want, it’s up to you, but I highly recommend using basswood. Here’s what I use in the course
- Templates: All templates can be found throughout the course in the download areas of each section.
- Sander: This is for wood prep. You can use an orbital electric sander or a sanding sponge. Here are some options.
- Wood Burner: I’m using my Burnmaster Eagle Pro. Any wood burner with a shader tip will work for this class.
- Shader Tip
- Ball Tip (or rounded tip)
- Carbon Paper for Transferring Your Work
- Scotch Tape
- Plain White Paper
2. Prepping the Wood
3. Practice – Animal Hair – Part 1
3. Practice – Animal Hair – Part 2
3. Practice – Cross Hatching – Part 1
3. Practice – Cross Hatching – Part 2
3. Practice – Swirls
3. Practice – Stipples
4. Breaking Down Images – Part 1
4. Breaking Down Images – Part 2
4. Breaking Down Images – Part 3
5. Applying Shading Technique – Part 1
5. Applying Shading Technique – Part 2
5. Applying Shading Technique – Part 3
5. Applying Shading Technique – Part – 4
6. Shading a Portrait – Part 1
6. Shading a Portrait – Part – 2
6. Shading a Portrait – Part 3
Need Supplies for Burning? I put together an Amazon supply page incase anyone needs access to supplies they can’t find in their areas.
Check it out!